How can we help today?
Got a question about one of our products? Want to find out more information about your orthosis?
We have created a list of our frequently asked questions (FAQs) and you can find all the answers listed below.
If you can’t find what you are looking for in our FAQs please get in touch and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
If you choose to self-fund your orthoses you can make payment to us via BACS or debit/credit card and our dedicated accounts team will be happy to assist you in anyway they can.
We also have a range of pre-sized products that can be purchased directly on our website, without clinical intervention, if you’re in the UK, USA or Ireland. Whilst these products are often more affordable, we always recommend a clinical assessment to determine which of our products will best meet the individual needs of the patient.
Our custom products have a wide range of colour options and customisation whereas our essentials range are only available in black or beige. Our DMO® custom orthoses also come with a wide range of reinforcements to help support and control movement, tailored to the individual’s needs. Custom products also let customers have their own openings, zips, toileting etc to make it easier for daily life.
– Put the Orthosis on as instructed following the instruction leaflet provided or from information on our website.
– Take care when putting on – pulling on roughly and long nails may also cause damage
– Build up wear time as per individual instructions
– Wash at least every 2 to 3 days
– Follow the washing instructions carefully
– Contact your therapist if you are concerned about fit of the Orthosis
– Do not tumble dry the Orthosis it will shrink and damage the material
– Do not wring out the Orthosis – it will become misshapen and become damaged
– Do not wear at night (unless you have been provided with a scoliosis suit or night time positioning shorts. You have been advised to wear other DMO® orthoses by your doctor, therapist or orthotists as this can be beneficial for certain medical conditions e.g. EDS)
– Do not iron the Orthosis
– Do not bleach the Orthosis
In adults it is more likely to be wear and tear through use, which will necessitate repair or replacement. If your weight changes this may lead to your Orthosis needing to be altered or replaced.
If you do not have a therapist or have been provided with your DMO® product privately, please discuss this with your DMO® clinical specialist or contact us.
How our products work
Our orthoses use a unique elastomeric fabric designed to give the best combination of flexibility and comfort, enabling freedom of movement.
Wear and Care
– The Orthosis should be washed at least every 2-3 days.
– The Orthosis can be machine or hand washed at 30⁰.
– Short spin or wrap dry in a towel to remove excess moisture.
– Allow to drip dry.
– DO NOT wring out the Orthosis. It will misshapen cause damage to the material.
– DO NOT iron the Orthosis.
– DO NOT bleach the Orthosis.
– DO NOT dry clean.
– DO NOT tumble dry.
– DO NOT use fabric softener.
Regular and correct care of the Orthosis will prevent it from developing odour and keep the material supple.
If your Orthosis is silver treated, this will need to be re-applied after 100 washes as the silver ions start to disperse after 50 washes.
In either case please contact us.
If you have been given a sock to improve your walking pattern, you may need the heel repairing before the rest of the sock. Wearing ordinary socks over your Orthosis may limit this wear.
Contact your local DM Orthotics Clinician if you have any concerns regarding the care of your orthosis.
The length of time you will have an Orthosis will be determined by your diagnosis and your goals. You will be reassessed by your therapist but it is usual to wear your Orthosis for several years.
Still can’t find what you’re looking for?
If you still can’t find an answer to your question listed above our dedicated administrative team can help you find the answer you are looking for. You can drop them an email or pick up the phone and someone will be happy to help.